On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 12:43:04AM -0700, Stewart Thompson wrote:

>> I'm on a local machine with interface eth0 down. I manually enter the
>> iptables policy DROP for all three "normal" chains, and then start up
>> interface eth0 with 'ifup eth0' (eth0 is configured with dhcp and
>> ONBOOT=n).
>>
>> In this scenario, the policy DROP exists before DHCP client starts up, but
>> still the DHCP client manages to assign a new IP-address.
>>
>> ifconfig shows shows that eth0 has been assigned new IP-address. ping or
>> any network traffic after that does not work, as expected.

> You are absolutely right. I just tried on one of my machines. It still
> manages to get an ip and start up with ifup. I don't have an explanation
> for it. Time for the Guruz to chime in.

For both of you, does tcpdump and/or the DHCP server show communication
taking place, or are you just going by the fact that the interface has an
address?

Is this definitely a *new* *valid* [1] address, rather than the host just
re-using the old one because it can't contact a DHCP server?

[1] Not in the 169.254.0.0 range....

--
FunkyJesus System Administration Team