On Thursday 13 June 2002 10:59 am, Juri Haberland wrote:

> >> This is annoying, is there a way you can turn
> >> this off inside inetd?
> >
> > Yes, it's the bit on each line of /etc/inetd.conf which says
> > "/usr/sbin/tcpd" - it does an ident lookup and logs the access to syslog
> > before handing the connection over to the real daemon.
> >
> > If you don't want this to happen them remove the "/usr/sbin/tcpd" from
> > inetd.conf and just have the standard daemon listed there on its own.
>
> This is a very bad advice as the tcpwrappers are a standard security
> tool which shouldn't be disabled!

I wasn't advocating this as good advice - I was simply answering the question
"how do I do it".

I don't regard eliminating tcpwrappers as a good idea, just for the record.

Mind you, I do also think that ident lookups are a bit of an anachronism
which we could well do without in many situations these days, however I don't
like having a firewall which automatically responds on port 113 to anyone who
cares to probe it...

There's no satisfactory answer to this problem at present, I think.

Antony.