Hi

On Tuesday 11 June 2002 04:26, Payal wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for the mails.
>
> iptables -A POSTROUTING -o $EXT_IF -j MASQUERADE
> Warning: wierd character in interface `-j' (No aliases, :, ! or

Is it possible that EXT_IF is not set? This really looks like
EXT_IF="". Try expicitly iptables -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j
MASQUERADE (or eth1 or whatever).
But I think it should be iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ..... -j
MASQUERADE.

>From info iptables:
  MASQUERADE
       This  target  is  only  valid  in  the  nat  table, in the
       POSTROUTING chain.

> *). Bad argument `MASQUERADE'
> Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.

Same problem. May you should have a look at man iptables.

> and this gave,
> iptables -A forward -j MASQUERADE
> iptables: No chain/target/match by that name

Correct. MASQUERADE is not valid there.

> My aim is very simple, I just wanted the equivalent command for
> ipchains -A forward -j MASQ
> in iptables.
> Thanks a lot in advance and eagerly waiting for the help.
> -Payal

greetings
        Axel