Well, the purpose of generative mechanistic modeling is to abstract away
certain details of the real world to isolate and understand the effects of
certain behaviors.

You may want to abstract your “millions” to be represented as less than
millions - unless you are planning on building a perfect simulation of a 3-d
world, taking a census, etc. Netlogo can go pretty fast and scale if you throw
away the UI, but that kind of defeats the point. The point is being able to
easily understand what you are modeling, then you can improve it quickly.

That being said, this is most likely the wrong list-server for this type of
question. This list-server is for core scale/java questions and extensions
written to integrate with netlogo.