On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 06:39:44PM +0100, Rob Shakir wrote:

> A portion of the operational state date (marked operational: true)
> is the set of variables that are not related to state that an
> external system can assert the value of — for example, a counter, or
> a negotiated protocol timer.

Not sure I parse this correctly but it sounds a bit like you make
something a static data model property that in reality is a dynamic
property of state. Lets take as an example the IP address of an
interface.  It can be statically configured or it can bee optained
dynamically via DHCP. So would you mark this operational true (or
operational sometimes) in the data model?