On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 07:59:29AM -0700, Andy Bierman wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 12:45 AM, Juergen Schoenwaelder <
> j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 12:39:21AM -0700, Andy Bierman wrote:

> > tree
> > include-stmt

> > > No -- YANG currently says if there is no revision date
> > > then the implementation can use any revision,
> >
> > Exactly - any revision.
> >
> > > This is also good enough.  Prove that this is causing interoperability
> > > problems.  I don't think it is -- especially not such that the server
> > > has to model all its imports so the client can retrieve the data.
> >
> > Did I say all imports? No. I think a server should announce which
> > revision was picked to resolve imports without a revision.
> >

> But it could be any revision.
>
>    A imports B.1 imports C
>    D imports B.4 imports C
>    E imports F imports G imports C

Can we agree on "all imports without a revision fixed in the data
model"?

> C can be imported many times without revision.

Yes.

> Any import in the chain can be with out without a revision date.

Yes.

> IMO "SHOULD use latest revision of C advertised" is best because
> the latest revision is generally the most correct and supports the
> most product features.

But I thought the goal was to know precisely what a device implements,
not what it _could_ implement.

> If the import of C really depends on specific revisions of
> some typedefs, groupings, etc. then import by revision MUST
> be used everywhere in the dependency chain (C and all its imports).
>
> If no revision-stmt is present the server can pick whatever revision
> it wants.  If this is a problem, then fix this problem, don't add
> some complex monitoring requirements for servers to implement
> and clients to process.  Let's make import-by-revision mandatory
> if import-without-revision is a such a problem.

If the data model leaves it open, then indeed the implementor can
choose.  What is wrong with reporting what was chosen?