On Fri, Aug 07, 2015 at 09:22:41AM -0700, Andy Bierman wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 8:57 AM, Juergen Schoenwaelder <
> j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:
>
> > Lets please not mix YANG 1.1 work with other discussions at this point
> > in time.
> >

> I would really like the WG and IESG to decide how YANG is going to be
> updated to support ephemeral state and operational state.
>
> It seems there are many documents waiting on YANG 1.1, yet
> only 1 or 2 actually use anything from YANG 1.1.
>
> If YANG 1.0 is not being deprecated then I do not see
> any reason to link documents to YANG 1.1 unless they
> actually use it.
>
> Is the plan to start work on YANG 1.2 before YANG 1.1 is even published?
> If so, then say so.  Let's not pretend YANG is stable
> or that all new improvements after YANG 1.1 are going to be
> done with extension hacks.
>
> If the IESG and the WG had a development plan for this work,
> it might help vendors decide when and what to support.

I can't speak for the IESG, I can't speak for the WG - the WG has to
speak first.

My personal goal is to complete YANG 1.1 with the feature set that we
all worked on hard during that last year. I believe in the value of
finishing something. The alternative is to keep YANG 1.1 a moving
target for at least another year to come (and likely even longer, who
knows which wishes comes next and how long it takes to settle all the
semantic issues with ephemeral state).

Since the solution direction for ephemeral state is not even set yet
(and ephemeral state might not even be a feature that every
NETCONF/RESTCONF implementation may choose to support), I would rather
work with YANG extensions as long as possible (and if not possible,
consider alternatives such as YANG 1.2 once we 'understand the
edits'). At this stage, my personal preference is to finish YANG 1.1
with the feature set that we have now.