Nadeau Thomas <tnad...@lucidvision.com> wrote:
>       [Speaking for myself]
>
>       Is the resistance to this proposal because of the actual changes to
>       structure, or is it a resistance to churn/change?

The former.  IMO this is technically not a good proposal, as I have
tried to explain several times.

>       And if we solved the
>       latter by say relaxing the rules around how we progress models to PS,
>       would this alleviate the concerns for the former?  The meta question I
>       will ask is: is the existing RFC process adequate/sufficient for us to
>       move forward on such a large scale with Yang models at the IETF?
>       Other organizations currently iterate on models using certain revision
>       conventions (that are consistent with the rules we put out here) yet
>       produce multiple versions of the same model within the same year.  As
>       a matter of fact, multiple versions are allowed to coexist within a
>       single implementation.  In stark contrast, the M.O. at the IETF has
>       been to treat Yang models much like we did SNMP MIBs (or any other
>       document here) thereby assuming that once it becomes an RFC, that it
>       is largely set in concrete for many years to come.

In this specific case the change is cosmetic but has disastrous
effects on other standard modules, other vendor-specific modules,
existing server code and existing client code.  I think people expect
IETF standards to be a bit more stable than that.