> On 16 Oct 2015, at 13:17, Martin Bjorklund <m...@tail-f.com> wrote:
>
> Ladislav Lhotka <lho...@nic.cz> wrote:

>>> Ok, fixed.

>>> Yes this makes sense.  But then I guess we shouldn't import client and
>>> server from 6241.  (And most other documents (restconf etc) should
>>> probably import these terms from ths document).  See also below.

>>> To start with, I think we should define client and server more
>>> generically than just NETCONF:
>>>
>>>  server: An entity that provides access to YANG-defined data to a
>>>          client, over some network management protocol.
>>
>> But then perhaps "device" is a broader term in the sense that the
>> server is just
>> a software component running in a device.
>
> So how do you define "device"?

An entity that's being managed and runs the server.

>> For example, it is the device that is required to operationally use
>> default values of parameters that are not present in the
>> configuration. Replacing "device" with "server" here IMO means something
>
> The text was actually already in RFC 6020:
>
>   When the default value is in use, the server MUST operationally
>   behave as if the leaf was present in the data tree with the default
>   value as its value.

Right, but with your definition of "server" there is no guarantee that, say, if
"mtu" on an interface has a default value and no value is configured, then the
default value is really used - MTU has nothing to do with server operation.

Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C