On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 11:54:58AM +0100, Ladislav Lhotka wrote:

> > On 11 Nov 2015, at 09:07, Juergen Schoenwaelder
> > <j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:

> >> Specifically, we need anyxml for ietf-netconf, since NETCONF is
> >> supposedly data modeling language agnostic.
> >>
> >> One option could be to deprecte anyxml (or remove it) in YANG 1.1, and
> >> if we ever do a new version of NETCONF, we use anydata instead.
> >>

> > We are effectively deprecating anyxml in YANG 1.1. We have reached
> > agreement on Y34-05 and I do not see any new arguments popping up.
>
> There is nothing in 6020bis indicating that "anyxml" is being deprecated.

I wrote 'effectively deprecated' and here is the text in 6020bis.

   Since the use of anyxml limits the manipulation of the content, it is
   RECOMMENDED that the "anyxml" statement not be used to define
   configuration data.

   It should be noted that in YANG version 1, anyxml was the only
   statement that could model an unknown hierarchy of data.  In many
   cases this unknown hierarchy of data is actually modelled in YANG,
   but the exact YANG model is not known at design time.  In these
   situations, it is RECOMMENDED to use anydata (Section 7.10) instead
   of anyxml.

There is more text in Y34-05 that will go into the guidelines. I call
this "effectively deprecated", you can call it differently if you
want. Frankly, this thread is about how to encode anyxml in JSON not
about the YANG 1.1 issue Y34. You may not like Y34-05 but this is what
we ended up with.