----- Original Message -----
From: "STUART VENTERS" <stuart.vent...@adtran.com>
To: "'Juergen Schoenwaelder'" <j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de>
Cc: <netmod@ietf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 2:58 PM

> Interesting, this highlights a concern I have with Yang.
> It's highlevel goals and progress are great, but at a detail level,
>    instead of using one general purpose language construct per
feature, it seems to be evolving to use many.
> For a new language evolving in an old problem area, this doesn't seem
right.

> RFC6020bis-11 section 7.15 gives some clue as to the reasoning behind
this.
> "The difference between an action and an rpc is that an action is tied
>    to a node in the datastore, whereas an rpc is not."
>
> To me, this feels like a protocol or implementation issue is causing
an unnecessary language addition.

> I wonder if an alternative strategy could be to say that you can use
an rpc in a node, but when you do the name of the rpc on the wire
becomes some combination of the node name and the rpc name?

Stuart

Picking up on your earlier e-mail, I agree with your thoughts but accept
Juergen's point that we should have got involved a year or two ago.

What I think would be valuable now is more guidance on when to choose
which option of the several available, like RFC6087 only more so.  I
think of this whenever I see a discussion on this list about e.g.
identities, enumerations, derived types, ...references and such like.
There are good reasons why one option is better than another but I
struggle to understand them and rarely remember when I am looking at one
of the dozens of YANG models that come out each month.

Tom Petch