From: netmod [mailto:netmod-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Mahesh Jethanandani
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2016 20:58
To: Acee Lindem (acee)
Cc: netmod WG
Subject: Re: [netmod] Remove input-interface (metadata) from
netmod-acl-model-07 ?

> On Jun 9, 2016, at 7:58 AM, Acee Lindem (acee) <a...@cisco.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is this a relevant example of ACL being configured on an interface?
>>
>> http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r
>> 4-2/a
>> ddr_serv/configuration/guide/b_ipaddr_cg42a9k/b_ipaddr_cg42a9k_chapter_01.
>> html#task_1049371
>>

> In the same way I misread your salutation, I think you’ve
> misinterpreted this example as it applies to including interface in
> the ACL model. If you examine the referenced configuration html
> closely, you’ll see that the ACL is a reusable packet-matching policy
> that is applied to an interface rather than the interface being
> included in the ACL rules themselves. In IOS-XR, the command to apply
> the ACL to an interface is “{ipv4 | ipv6} access-group <acl-name>”
> specified in interface configuration submode. Is there something in the text
> that I’m missing?

You are correct. I was thinking of interface as one of the parameters in the
ACL rule, where this example is of configuring an ACL under an interface.

>> Talking to implementers, the feature is very much desired.
>>

> As the initial implementor of the function on Redback SEOS (now
> Ericsson IPOS), I can confirm that attaching an ACL to an interface
> is, indeed, an essential function.

And this is more of a question to the authors - unless I am missing something,
where and how is this achieved today?

> [...]
>>

>>> On Mar 30, 2016, at 9:36 PM, Sterne, Jason (Nokia - CA)
>>> <jason.ste...@nokia.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> The ACL model is converging on a small core set of functionality
>>> that is fairly common.
>>>
>>> But I think the matching on input-interface should be removed from
>>> the model (or at the least put inside a feature flag).
>>>
>>> Matching on basic IPv4/IPv4/MAC header fields is common functionality.
>>> But having that input-interface match on metadata in the core model
>>> is out of place.  It should be left to further extension drafts or
>>> vendor specific augmentations (along with whatever other metadata
>>> might be useful or vendor-specific).
>>>

>>> ACLs are typically assigned to interfaces as shown in section A.3. of
>>> the ACL draft.   That is the most common use case.
>>>
>>> Actually matching on input-interface in the ACL rules themselves is
>>> not basic core ACL functionality.  Nokia SR OS does not have that
>>> capability.  Does IOS-XR ?  Brocade ?  others ?
>>>

>>> Cisco and Juniper support matching on input interface. It is useful
>>> when you want to filter on general traffic coming from interface.
>>>
>>> Cisco
>>> match input-interface
>>> match input-vlan
>>>

>> These are “class-map”  sub-commands - not “access-list" sub-commands.
>> So you are referring to the general functionality rather than
>> specifically functionality supported by access-list?
>>

>> According to the Cisco website
>> (http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560
>> x/sof
>> tware/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swacl.html)
>>
>> Note The ACL must be an extended named ACL.
>>

>> –<blank.gif> match input-interface interface-id-list –<blank.gif>
>> match ip dscp dscp-list –<blank.gif> match ip precedence
>> ip-precedence-list
>>

>>> Junos
>>> family any {
>>> filter L2_filter {
>>> term t1 {
>>> from {
>>> interface fe-0/0/0.0;
>>> }
>>> then {
>>> policer p1;
>>> count c1;
>>> }
>>> }
>>> }
>>> }
>>>
>>> Brocade supports matching based on interface, Dell supports VLAN
>>> matching, Arista supports input interface matching, Redback supports
>>> matching against input interface for logging,
>>>

>> If you are referring to “log-input”, this indicates to include the
>> input-interface in the log message. Cisco supports this as well.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Acee
>>

>>> so it is pretty standard across multiple vendors
>>>
>>> Dean
>>>

>>>    If some major implementations don’t do it, and it isn’t necessary
>>> for typical basic ACL use, then it should be removed (or feature

Mahesh Jethanandani
mjethanand...@gmail.com