Draft meeting minutes have been posted.

https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/interim-2017-netmod-01/minutes/minutes-interim-2017-netmod-01-201705221300-00

Please send any corrections/clarifications to the list ASAP.  Authors, please
confirm decisions on the list.

PS: regarding my comment at the very end about needing more examples, perhaps
the examples are sufficient, but more needed are pointers throughout the text
to parts of examples illustrating various points.  Also, I think that the NI vs
LNE distinction should be introduced in the Introduction; use of formal terms
would help the document as a whole as well: NI, LNE, host-system.

Thanks,
Kent

Schema Mount Virtual Interim

Monday, May 22nd from 1pm to 3pm EST.

Tracker:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2017-netmod-01/session/netmod
WebEx: https://ietf.webex.com/ietf/j.php?MTID=m87b080addaf71be419f67f2a893cfe94
Etherpad: http://etherpad.tools.ietf.org:9000/p/notes-2017-may-interim-netmod

Attendees:
    Kent Watsen
    Lou Berger
    Lada Lhotka
    Martin Bjorklund
    Andy Bierman
    Acee Lindem
    Balazs Lengyel
    Joe White
    Xufeng Liu
    Igor (B?)
    Robert Varga

Agenda: Schema Mount
        Draft: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netmod-schema-mount-05
        New Slides:
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/interim-2017-netmod-01/slides/slides-interim-2017-netmod-01-sessa-yang-schema-mount-00.pdf
        Slides from Chicago:
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/98/slides/slides-98-netmod-sessb-schema-mount-00.pdf

Lada presents new slides

<slide 2>
Andy B: How does augment work in child with parent-references?  Can a model be
both mounted and use parent reference.
Lada: This is a corner case, and should just work.  All x-path references will
expand to the union of the parent and child trees. It all is based on the
x-path expansion. So should have no concerns with augments.
Martin: A child augment doesn't augment the parent tree.  Note the child
"version" is not a copy.
Lou: Augment would need to be at parent level
Lou: is a mount and parent-reference allowed
Martin: This could work, i.e., provide a union of nodes.  We could make this
illegal. Note this is based on server implementation:
Balazs Lengyel to everyone: If you have both local and parent references, how
do we guarantee key uniqueness?
Martin: You wouldn't - it would be a union
Balazs Lengyel: What happens if have same leaf/list name in both
Lada: X-path expression evaluation will make this clear
Martin: maybe make this illegal
Lada: perhaps just advise this
Martin: will look at language to restrict this.

Lou: in document parent-reference is witin use-schema
Andy: it's better to have it associated with mount point rather than a
use-schema
Lou: how do you support parent-reference for a particular NI instance, e.g.,
NI="red"
<discussion>
Lou: perhaps put parent-reference in mount point extension, and then can have
leaf-ref to specific instance value, e..g., NI=red
Martin: idea of placing parent reference in mount point is worth thinking about

Kent: in the case without parent-reference, use-schema indicates the full list
of modules instantiated under the mount point
Lada: correct
Kent: how does inline work
Lada: inline builds a self contained model using its own instance if yang
library
Lou: key difference in inline vs use-schema is when schema is available  -
inline is when specific mount-point is instantiated; use-schema is when server
is available
Kent: perhaps make implicit based on import statement
Lada: imports really don't do anything other identify namespaces

Kent: why use namespace, and not specify full path in parent-reference
Joe white: namespace is just a short hand
Lada: yes
Martin: is needed by x-path
Andy: this now a 3rd source for namespace definitions
Andy: I don't see why not follow restconf approach of using module name, but
this is okay too
Kent: yang-library bis is using module-name as well
Martin: using such an implied expansion is worth considering

Joe White (posted in chat window): Could you mount ietf-network-instance twice
to /if:interfaces? I assume you could and you would call them for example
"ietf-network-instance-A" and "ietf-network-instance-B" and that the scoping to
get to each would use the module name in the mount-point declaration as the
container name for the mounted schema.
Lou: this would be two mount point instances (in LNE)
Martin: the mount point would exist just once, and then the mount point is
either inline or use schema
Lada: for inline, every mount point instance can have a different schema

<Slide 3>
<Lots of discussion issue #1>
Lou: issue 2 - we (RTG area YANG DT) though there was value in having extension
in it's own module.  as contributor:  - not a major point - if no one else
thinks this is important we can move on
Robert: having two modules has a lot of value from the implementation
standpoint, i.e., just specifying that mount point is present in module is
sufficient
Lada: 2 modules has value, and finished almost immediately while use-schema
Martin: would be opposed to separating
Robert: inline works fine
Martin: trying to solve both
Lou: if we have the extension in two modules would support implementations that
only do inline
Martin: can be solved by schema-mount module with no use-schemas identified
Robert: that's okay if can get standardized in a timely manner
Robert: not sure config=false is useful, better to do in runtime session / data
itself - in the context of the mount point

--> resolution for both issues to accept dropping, i.e., no change needed in -05

<slide 4>
Issue 1:
Andy: with keyless lists, can use any name as they should be ignored
Lada: will propose text to match, and see if it works for all
Issue 2: move to tree definition to new tree-diagrams draft

<Design time mounts>
Lou: (as participant) first use case could be the use-schema itself (with
library)
Martin/Lada: this is unnecessary complexity at this time, and would like to
defer
Lou: Okay, is reasonable to defer to the future

Balazs Lengyel: We DO NEED a way to have a method of dcumenting/retrieving the
full set of mounts without reading anything from a live server
Lada/Lou Berger: can provide a prebuilt / prepopulated schema-mount  module

Kent: could use more examples in draft
Balazs: could use more explanation of design time vs implementation time