From: netmod <netmod-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Joel M. Halpern
<j...@joelhalpern.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 21 June 2017 6:19 a.m.
To: t.petch; Robert Wilton; netmod@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [netmod] Defining configuraiton: was I-D Action:
draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6087bis-13.txt

I was going to just watch this, but I can't.

To call protocol negotiated values "configuration" is to create a usage
which will confuse MANY people.  Even worse, configuring protocol
learned values is liable to break things.  To use one example, many
protocols negotiate timers.  The value that a given systems starts with
is the configured value.  The value that it learns from the protocol
exchange is the operational value.  In fact, you better not try to
configure that value or you are liable to break the protocol.

Yours,
Joel