I'd like to start a discussion about adopting this draft...or something like it
(see below).

The primary driver for wanting to expedite this draft is that it is being
discussed as a required aspect of a chartered NETCONF WG effort to define a new
encoding for YANG's 'notification' statement.

But I wonder if it would be better to define something like yd:uses-yang-data
that can have both 'augment' and 'refine' as substatements.  The motivation for
this is because the ANIMA WG wishes to define a "voucher-request" yang-data
artifact that is essentially a "voucher" yang-data artifact that has had a leaf
changed from "mandatory true" to "mandatory false" (via refinement) while also
adding some new fields (via augmentation).  The current ANIMA solution defines
a common grouping used by two yang-data statements, but this approach is
neither intuitive nor lends itself to further downstream consumption.

Lastly, I wonder if it would be better to have a draft that [re-]defines a
'yang-data' statement outside of RFC8040.  This way drafts wanting to define
yang-data wouldn't have to explain why they have an otherwise unexpected
normative reference to RESTCONF.

Thoughts?

Kent // pick a hat