---- Original Message -----
From: "Juergen Schoenwaelder" <j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de>
To: "Martin Bjorklund" <m...@tail-f.com>
Cc: <netmod@ietf.org>
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2017 2:01 PM
> On Mon, Nov 06, 2017 at 02:19:24PM +0100, Martin Bjorklund wrote:
> >
> > Trying to summarize this issue.
> >
> > The problem is which datastore is used to:
> >
> >     1a. evaluate action ancestor nodes
> >     1b. evaluate action input/output parameter leafref,
> >         instance-identifier, must, when
> >     2.  evaluate rpc input/output parameter leafref,
> >         instance-identifier, must, when
> >
> > (Note that the side effects of an action/rpc is not part of this
> > issue)
> >
> > I think it would be very weird if 1a and 1b were treated
differently,
> > so I just label them as 1 below.
> >
> > Possible solutions:
> >
> > A.  Always use <operational> for 1 and 2.
> >
> >     (This is what the current nmda draft says).
> >
> > B.  Let the client specify the datastore for 1, and use
<operational>
> >     for 2.
> >
> >     (Note that this is trivial in RESTCONF (since the datastore is
> >     part of the URL), but would require a new parameter for NETCONF
> >     (or a new <action2>).
> >
> > C.  Let the client specify the datastore for 1 and 2.
> >
> >     This would require a new generic parameter for how RPCs are
> >     invoked in both NETCONF and RESTCONF.
> >
> > D.  Like B, but let the description of the "rpc" statement
optionally
> >     override this.
> >

> > I prefer B and then D.
>
> I prefer A for now and I believe any of the other options may be
> considered in the future (when we can provide proper support of YANG
> and the protocols). I also believe that A covers a large number of
> real-world use cases.

I prefer A.  I think it is the simplest and the one least likely to have
consequences that were not anticipated.  You could see this discussion
as being one of unanticipated consequences so I want the least change to
solve the problem, while thinking about what B (or C or D, roughly the
order of increasing uncertainty) really involves.

Tom Petch