On 12/21/2017 1:03 PM, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 12:58:26PM +0100, Martin Bjorklund wrote:
Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 12:37:46PM +0100, Martin Bjorklund wrote:
Hi,

I need WG input on this issue.  The question is how to handle
'serial-num', 'mfg-name', and 'model-name'.  I think they should all
be treated the same.  Based on previous WG discussion (see e.g. the
mail thread "draft-ietf-netmod-entity issue #13"), I think they should
all be configurable, but the configured value is only used in
operational state if the system cannot read it from the hardware.

So I suggest the following changes:

OLD:

       leaf serial-num {
         type string;
         config false;
         description
           "The vendor-specific serial number string for the
            component.  The preferred value is the serial number
            string actually printed on the component itself (if
            present).";
         reference "RFC 6933: entPhysicalSerialNum";
       }

NEW:

       leaf serial-num {
         type string;
         description
           "The vendor-specific serial number string for the
            component.  The preferred value is the serial number
            string actually printed on the component itself (if
            present).
The last sentence is not useful since nobody knows what 'preferred'
value means. So remove it.
This text comes from RFC 6933.  Do you really think it is not clear
what the intention is?
I guess I read too fast. No, the sentence is fine. My comment was wrong.

[...]
Agreed.  So we'd have a single paragraph:

    This leaf can be configured.  The configured value is used only if
    the server cannot determine the vendor-specific serial number from
    the component itself.
Yes, I think this covers it.
That works for me.

Regards, B.