On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 1:44 PM, Andy Bierman <a...@yumaworks.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 11:49 AM, Eric Rescorla <e...@rtfm.com> wrote:
>
>> Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
>> draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6087bis-18: No Objection
>>
>> When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
>> email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
>> introductory paragraph, however.)
>>

>> Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
>> for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.
>>

>> The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
>> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6087bis/

>> COMMENT:
>>
>> draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6087bis.txt:500
>>    normative, if the module itself is considered normative, and not an
>>    example module or example YANG fragment.  The use of keywords defined
>>    in [RFC2119] apply to YANG description statements in normative
>> I think you probably want to rewrite this as:
>>
>> "Note that if the module itself is considered normative and not an example
>> module or example YANG fragment, then all YANG statements..."
>>

> OK
>

>>    o  Prefixes are never allowed for built in data types and YANG
>>       keywords.
>> I'm not sure I understand what this means. Is the idea that I can't use
>> "example-import" somewhere?
>>

> The external keyword "example:import" is not the same as the YANG keyword
> "import"
> YANG keywords are not allowed to have prefixes.
>

>>    character MAY be used if the identifier represents a well-known value
>>    that uses these characters.
>> Is this text saying that only characters in these two subsets are allowed
>> and
>> therefore, for instance "." is forbidden
>>

> This text is suggesting the characters that SHOULD be used.
> The dot and dash chars are not included. The text specifies which
> characters are included.

I'm sorry, I am still confused. Here's the original text:

   Identifiers SHOULD follow a consistent naming pattern throughout the
   module.  Only lower-case letters, numbers, and dashes SHOULD be used
   in identifier names.  Upper-case characters and the underscore
   character MAY be used if the identifier represents a well-known value
   that uses these characters.

There are other characters that are not in either of these sets. Are you
saying
that they can't be used under any conditions?

-Ekr