Andy Bierman <a...@yumaworks.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> All of these suggested solutions seem OK if one were looking for the most
> disruptive
> way to solve the problem.  Tossing iana-if-types and starting over would
> achieve that result.

I think nobody is suggesting to dump iana-if-types, just create an
alternative hierarchy of identities. So it's not disruptive at all.

> First, this is a server capabilities problem, so it is related to the
> implementation, not the schema.

I disagree, it is also a data modelling problem. What's needed is to be
able to define parameters that are common to e.g. Ethernet interfaces in
one place and let them be inherited by all Ethernet-like interfaces. The
flat list of identities - even if the contents was much better than it
currently is - allows to do it only in a way that's clumsy and
non-scalable.

> Second, the if-types that are allowed at any given moment can be specific
> to the implementation
> and the interface name.
>
> I think this is the 3rd time I have suggested an RPC to solve the actual
> probem:
>
>   rpc get-allowed-if-types {

But this is an ad hoc solution that works only for this particular
registry.

Lada

Ladislav Lhotka
Head, CZ.NIC Labs