Hi Rohit,

On 17/05/2018 10:30, Rohit R Ranade wrote:

Hi Robert,

So first , we try to get to know the system configuration.

Then for the configuration leaves (based on description), check whether system configuration trumps the intended configuration ? If yes, retain system configuration, Else apply intended configuration.

I think that this is probably an implementation choice, so my comments below are subjective.

E.g. I think that Junos devices always instantiate a loopback interface (lo0) even if not configured, but IOS XR does not.  This is fine, this is just a difference in architecture.

However, for both types of devices, configuring an IP address on the loopback interface should work just fine:

In the Junos case the lo0 interface already exists in <operational> with origin "system", along with an IP address underneath it with origin "intended".

In the XR case, both the loopback0 interface and IP address are configured, hence when the config is applied both data nodes appear in <operational> with the origin "intended".

Hence normally  it is up to the device implementation to decide whether a particular item of system configuration trumps the intended configuration.  Whatever the system decides the appropriate value appears in <operational> and the origin (if supported) of that value in <operational> MUST indicate where it came from.  So in the general case, I wouldn't expect YANG modules to need to refer to system configuration.  However, there are some specific cases where it is useful to do so (e.g. RFC8343 describes system-controlled interfaces).

If for some leaf, there is no <intended> configuration , then apply system configuration .

For the systems that I work on then I would normally expect an explicitly configured value to trump a system value.   If the device does not allow values other than the system provided value then ideally it should deviate the data node to only allow the system assigned value to be configured.

If it is a container/list/etc then you may well need to merge the data coming from <intended>, system and other places as well (e.g. IP addressed learned via DHCP)

Thanks,
Rob

Is my understanding correct ?

With Regards,