My interpretation:

Option 2 is to disallow tabs in the output, but leave it to the implementation to decide how to handle tabs in the input document, so a script would be allowed to do a, b, or c.

Just supporting "option 2(a)" is the same as "option 1":

  1) RFC disallows TABS in both the source-input and folded-output.
     ***This is what we currently have***

Perhaps you mean that you prefer option 1?

Thanks,
Rob