I am wondering if we are looking at two sets of rules for the versioning system
we come up with. One that vendors do with their "native" models to satisfy
their customers, and the other what standard bodies follow for the models
published by them.

For example, vendors can make feature and NBC fixes to models in releases that
are not the latest, while standard bodies like IETF make changes in models that
are always the latest, even as they use the same versioning system. Again,
vendors use all the three numbers, but standard bodies use the first (major)
and the last (patch) number.

Mahesh Jethanandani
mjethanand...@gmail.com