Hi,

we've had an interesting interop problem, and we don't know if this is a client, server, or just interop problem. However, I thought I'd bring it to the attention here.

The server produced an output that was in the format of:

2a00:db8:1:2:3::5:0

When the client then asked for information about this object it used:

2a00:db8:1:2:3:0:5:0

The netconf server then returned no answer, because it didn't consider these to be the same (string match).

I have included what I think is relevant text below, it seems the client reformatted the address into canonical format. However, the description below seems to indicate that all those IPv6 types are ok. If the server must use canonical format, is there a MUST somewhere that says so?

What does it mean that something is a "canonical format"?

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6021

typedef ipv6-address {
     type string {
     }
     description
      "The ipv6-address type represents an IPv6 address in full,
       mixed, shortened, and shortened-mixed notation.  The IPv6
       address may include a zone index, separated by a % sign.
       The zone index is used to disambiguate identical address
       values.  For link-local addresses, the zone index will
       typically be the interface index number or the name of an
       interface.  If the zone index is not present, the default
       zone of the device will be used.

       The canonical format of IPv6 addresses uses the compressed
       format described in RFC 4291, Section 2.2, item 2 with the
       following additional rules: the :: substitution must be
       applied to the longest sequence of all-zero 16-bit chunks
       in an IPv6 address.  If there is a tie, the first sequence
       of all-zero 16-bit chunks is replaced by ::.  Single
       all-zero 16-bit chunks are not compressed.  The canonical
       format uses lowercase characters and leading zeros are
       not allowed.  The canonical format for the zone index is
       the numerical format as described in RFC 4007, Section
       11.2.";
     reference
      "RFC 4291: IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture
       RFC 4007: IPv6 Scoped Address Architecture
       RFC 5952: A Recommendation for IPv6 Address Text Representation";
   }

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se