On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 2:27 PM Kent Watsen <kwat...@juniper.net> wrote:

> >> PS: I've been too busy to setup a virtual meeting for us to finish the
> >> review of the YANG-next items in the GitHub tracker.  But things are
> >> just beginning to free up a little for me now.  Would folks like to
> >> have a meeting before 104 to finish that review?
> >
> > I think that's what the side meeting would do - review the current
> > items to see what makes sense.
>
> Sure, but perhaps the in-person time would be better spent analyzing the
> results of the reviews?  Recall that we're trying to score each item on
> three axis: importance, complexity, backward-compatibility.

I agree with this approach.  It is too easy to get
bogged down on how a solution might work (or worse, let's compare
2 or 3 different solutions right now) and never finish the issue list.

There are spot solutions in progress (e.g., on-change
notification,  yang-data)
that might be much better handled with robust generalized solutions in YANG.
I have some concern that a patchwork of optional extensions is worse for
end-users
in the long-term, than a new YANG language version.

Current results here: