On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 02:41:39PM +0000, Italo Busi wrote:

> What about the case the leaf is not conditional (but still mandatory false
> since a YANG default statement is defined)?
>
> May the server still decide not to use/implement this leaf in the operational
> datastore?
>
> For example, in appendix C.1 of RFC8342, auto-negotiation is enabled by
> default.
> What should be the behavior of a system which does not implement
> auto-negotiation?
> Return the value false or no value (in the operational datastore)?

Here are some of the rules I personally like:

 - <operational> is the ground truth about what a system has and does
 - do not implement leafs that do not apply

Hence, interfaces supporting auto-negotiation have either
auto-negotiation/enabled = true or auto-negotiation/enabled = false in
<operational>. And interfaces not supporting auto-negotiation have
nothing to report about auto-negotiation. Yes, I do not want to see
auto-negotiation/enabled = false on a loopback interface.

My historic Ethernet interface from the last century would also not
report auto-negotiation/enabled in <operational>. You may hit
applications that love to have auto-negotiation/enabled available on
all Ethernet interfaces and then you end in a debate where the
application developers tell you that no information in <operational>
may have many reasons (instrumentation not implemented, access control
rules, whatever and by reporting enabled=false you do them a favor)
but the true answer in such a debate is often that modeling things as
a boolean is simplistic since there are often more than exactly two
states (in this case, enabled, disabled, failed, not-available, ...).
So you settle on blaming the model writer. ;-)

Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://www.jacobs-university.de/>