> Barbara
>
> Top posting a slightly different question.
>
> Belatedly doing my homework, I see that not all the NULL are uint16.  One,
> next-hop, is ip-address.  We have the options discussed for uint16 but could
> also
> use zero (or some other value) to mean NULL.  Zero is of course the way the
> default is commonly represented.
>
> How is this handled in TR-181?  How would you like it handled in YANG?
>
> Tom Petch

Hi Tom,
In discussion with Mahesh, he has indicated preference for union with a "null"
enumeration to handle the uint16 cases. He's also indicated he would prefer to
do that for the ip-address.
I see the YANG ip-address type is a union of ipv4-address and ipv6-address
types, both of which are strings.
In BBF, there is the IPAddress datatype which is a string(45) with IPv4 and
IPv6 formats allowed. There are also IPv4Address and IPv6Address datatypes that
are defined as derivatives of the IPAddress datatype. An empty string is used
for "unspecified or inapplicable addresses". Strings, unlike ints, have the
luxury of being empty.
I'm perfectly fine with Mahesh's choice to use the union with a "null" enum in
all cases. It seems like a good solution.
Thx,
Barbara