Hi:
In draft-ietf-netmod-node-tags, we manage all the tags in the operational
datastore using ietf-data-node-tags.
Both system tags and user configured tags can be added or removed from
operational datastore.
Therefore we can use standard protocol operation to query results and retrieve
node tags. These results set can be further processing locally by the client
for latter usage or application.

Metadata annotation can only be applied to instance level nodes rather than
schema level nodes.
In IETF 114, one example of metadata annotation is to use get-data operation to
retrieve Origin Metadata attributes, which described in section 3.1.1 of RFC8526
but this requires additional protocol extension to support "with-origin"
parameters.
I think this is feasible way to retrieve tags but at the cost of adding
protocol extension.
Therefore using ietf-data-node-tags to query tags seems sufficient to me.

-Qin