From: netmod <netmod-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Andy Bierman
Sent: Wednesday, 19 July, 2023 10:13
To: Martin Björklund <mbj+i...@4668.se>
Cc: netmod@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [netmod] YANG Versioning: Key Issue #1 - Allow NBC changes in YANG
1.0 & YANG 1.1 or not?

On Tue, Jul 18, 2023 at 4:48 AM Martin Björklund
<mbj+i...@4668.se<mailto:mbj%2bi...@4668.se>> wrote:
What about Option 4 - Pragmatic Adherence to Current RFC7950 Rules

This is the approach I also suggested on the mailing list.

- As it works today; the IETF *has* published bugfixed modules that break the
  rules.  (and many vendors do this as well)
- (Possibly) Introduce rev:non-backwards-compatible

This would allow 6991bis to update date-and-time to follow the updated
semantics for RFC3339 timestamps (which imo is the only reasonable
thing to do - the consuequences of this change is handled by SEDATE).

The important thing in each case is to consider
the expected impact on the real world and real deployments.

IMO a bugfix should be OK, even if the rules in RFC 7950 say it is an NBC
change.
But this is not the same thing as changing the rules in a new document to shift
the
implementation burden to the client.

This is only an IETF issue and the burden should be on a WG to convince the
IESG and IETF
that making the NBC change is a bugfix and should be allowed as a special case.