From: netmod <netmod-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Kent Watsen
<kent+i...@watsen.net>
Sent: 19 April 2023 02:59

This email begins a two-week WGLC on:

        https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-netmod-node-tags-09

Please take time to review this draft and post comments by May 2nd.  Favorable
comments are especially welcomed.
<tp>
I think that this is a bad idea.  It lacks a coherent taxonomy, a bit like
setting up a relational database without first considering what classes there
will be, what inheritance there is and so on.

It seems to be an ad-hoc collection of categories that are of interest to the
authors and are likely to be meaningless in practice in the internet at large.
It should look at what aspects of management it covers and then the data
related to each and the provide usable criteria to determine into which
category a data item falls.  This is substantial work, but then so is setting
up a usable relational database and I see enough of those where the thought has
not been put in on the underlying concepts, principles and so have proved more
of a hindrance than a help.

Tom Petch

This draft went through a WGLC a year ago.  The authors addressed the comments
received and have been were waiting for feedback.   In essence, this draft is
presumed to reflect WG consensus and thusly, if no objection is received, the
draft will move to the next step in the publication process.

Ref: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/netmod/n2P9yohA-X-xSIt6FlMr4wOqmuI/

Kent  // co-chair