The question in the WG for the ACL Extensions draft was whether the draft
should be an augmentation of the base ACL model, or a -bis of RFC 8519. Lou
brought some clarity by saying that if the base model could exist by itself
without these extensions, then it should be treated as an augmentation, but if
there are fundamental additions to the base model that should have existed from
day 1, it should be a -bis.

Looking at the changes being proposed by the draft, I see a combination of
extensions, e.g. defined-sets, and changes that are fairly fundamental to the
usage of ACL model. I am sorry that we missed them in RFC 8519. Examples of
that include definitions for ipv4-fragment, ipv6-fragment, mpls etc. It is for
those fundamental definitions, my personal opinion (and as author of RFC 8519)
is that it should be -bis.

Cheers.

Mahesh Jethanandani
mjethanand...@gmail.com