Hi Katrien et al,

What I notice on facebook is that it encourages transgressive,
playful, even flirtatious behavior so that, for example, many people
in my network are colleagues who I know through a conference, or maybe
they are the friends of closer colleagues and we haven't met in person
at all.  Yet I send them virtual drinks, throw sheep, cuddle them, and
attack them with a vampire who looks like a dominatrix.  Depending on
how they react, things can really become very friendly and sometimes
quite flirty.

The mere fact of being on Facebook and adding certain
applications--like Boozemail, Likeness, and Compare People--seems to
signal being open to this kind of interaction.  And I think it could
easily lead to some kind romantic/sexual liaison when people meet in
person, even if that wasn't an overt goal for either at the start,
because Facebook apps really encourage revealing a lot of personal
info and are so playful as well.

--In fact I'll be very curious to see what happens when I meet several
of these people in person for the first time, or after having only met
briefly in person, but then been playing around with in Facebook for
months and months.

While Facebook may be just as restrictive about nudity/porn, I think
it absolutely encourages seduction, and also transgression of
boundaries between social categories.   In fact these are the aspects
I find most entertaining personally and interesting professionally.
:-)

Best,

Kim