On 20 Oct 2011  Brian Bailey <bbai...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> [snip]

>> It's a long time since I used Pluto, but my recollection is that it
>> doesn't treat HTML attachments any differently to any other type of
>> filer_run.

>> It doesn't parse the HTML in any way to see if any other attached files
>> are needed by it, so they aren't saved alongside it - and therefore, as
>> you say, the images references aren't rewritten.

>> The bottom line, for users of Pluto, is that if you want to see attached
>> images displayed in the HTML, you'll need to save and manually edit.
>> (Remote images should be fine, of course).

> Vince, I should be glad of further clarification. My understanding is that
> MessengerPro doesn't behave significantly differently from Pluto when it
> comes to handling HTML, but maybe I'm out of date because MessengerPro has
> been subject to further development whereas Pluto hasn't. I see that you
> use the former and should be interested to learn if that too is subject to
> the same problems the affect Pluto, please. It may well be crunch time for
> me entailing a reluctant swap to MessengerPro.

MPro show HTML e-mails as an attempt to render the HTML in the body of
the message (usually quite a bit of a mess), with the HTML as an
attachment. You can then click on the attachment to load it into a
browser. It's a long time since I used Pluto, so I can't remember if
it does that; I do remember control-G to load the HTML into the
message window, and if MPro can do that, I haven't found out how.

One thing that MPro does, and I don't think Pluto does, is that if you
reply to or froward an HTML message, no matter if there are graphics
as attachments as well as the HTML, the resulting message is received
on the Dark Side as a standard HTML message. I haven't been able to
check this myself, but I've never had the usual Windows-users' whinge
that they can't read the message, as one gets when one replies
bottom-posted :-)

Anyway this is getting off-topic here; should it be continued on the
MPro list?

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter   \  /      zfc Lu     \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
and      \/ __            __  \                              England.