On 12 Feb 2013  Brian Howlett <brian.gro...@brianhowlett.me.uk> wrote:

> (Posting here because I can't remember where I got it)

> I use FetchNS to download the latest versions of Netsurf, but I have
> to manually finish off the installation due to this error -

> Error from (unknown): Parameter expansion contains unrecognised
> characters

> By this time it has downloaded the latest zip file and quit NS (if
> running) so I just have to manually install the latest version.

> Does anyone else get this or have I missed something in the setup?

It works faultlessly here. One of the problems seems to be that there
are several different version of it knocking around. I can't see
anything in the Help file that says I couldn't send my working copy to
Brian; does anyone know better?

Possibly relevant: In the Help file here, it says, "Lastly, if the
variable Fetch_NS$Install$Dir is set, it will install and start the
version just retrieved". Where this variable is set depends on which
version you have. Here, that is set in !Fetch_NS's Choices directory,
in !Boot.Choices, in the file called Settings, which is run by
!Fetch_NS.!Run, and it reads:

Set Fetch_NS$Install$Dir <Fetch_NS$Dir>.^

but I can't remember how I set it! This installs NetSurf in the parent
directory of Fetch_NS, which is where I keep all my internet stuff.

It's an invaluable app, but the method of setting it up isn't obvious
to the uninitiated! As supplied, the app sets a directory specific to
the author in the Resources.Defaults file , and you have to comment
this line out

With best wishes,

Peter.

--