On 19 Feb 2015  Graham Pickles <gra...@durain.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <44f5489854.pnyo...@pnyoung.ormail.co.uk>
>           Peter Young <pnyo...@ormail.co.uk> wrote:

>>I maintain the website of the local branch of the Multiple Sclerosis
>>Society, at www.mssociety.org.uk/cheltenham (NB I am only responsible
>>for the content, not the formatting). From time to time the site gets
>>seriously malformed in RISC OS NetSurf, and then a few days later goes
>>back to what is should be. Screenshots of this are at
>>http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk/Chrome.jpg as it should be in Chrome
>>on Windows and
>>http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk/NetSurf.jpg as it was yesterday in
>>NetSurf #2600, but it's back to how it should be this morning! Same
>>NetSurf build.
>>
>>I imagine this is the fault of the site rather than of NetSurf, but I
>>would value comments. (OT) If it is the fault of the site, I have a
>>feeling that they may be contravening guidance about website
>>accessibility for disabled people, and I would be interested in
>>comments about this also.
>>
>>Best wishes,
>>
>>Peter.
>>
> I saved the HTML (using Netsurf #2600 and it apeared to present OK with
> some very minor problems at the bottom of the page)
> and ran it through http://validator.w3.org/
> It came up with 9 errors. I have not examined these in detail and
> cannot say whether these are the cause of the problem and I don't
> have sufficient expertise to comment about the website accessibility
> for disabled people. However a first step might be to rectify the
> errors so that the HTML conforms to XHML 1.0 and see whether that
> helps!

Thanks for looking at the HTML, which is beyond my capabilities.
Unfortunately, the rectifying of the errors isn't something I can do,
as I don't have access to the site directly; I submit updates though a
Content Management whatever. In any case, the National Centre staff
are undermanned, underpaid and overstressed, so I don't really want to
rattle their cages.

Best wishes,

Peter.

--