On 18 Feb 2015, Harriet Bazley  wrote:
> On 17 Feb 2015 as I do recall,
>           Roger Darlington  wrote:

>> I suppose someone knows that Google Books does not show the pages any
>> longer in any version of Netsurf I have. One 2 years old, NS 3.2, and
>> a test build from today.
>>
>> It used to work fine, but Google must have put some spanners in their
>> works.
>>
> I think it's some kind of copy protection. The links to the images are still
> *there* in the source code, but specified as 'background'.   The thing to
> do is to search for the string ".viewport".

> For example, https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=VL5wUgW0RssC&pg=PA24
> The intended display is hidden as

> .viewport div img {display:none;}
> bottom:4px">
> background-image:url("https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=VL5wUgW0RssC
> &ie=ISO-8859-1&pg=PA24&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U1veGpmwlalmSlRUhFW
> AAUiHFXutw");
> width:575px;height:853px; top:0px;left:0px;position:relative}</style>

> Click on *that*, and you can see the page, annoying though the workaround
> is....

I am puzzled by this Hilary.

Firefox on Windows7 has no such trouble displaying google book pages
without any rigmarole about finding some other link hidden deep inside
it and clicking on that instead.

Maybe Firefox ingnores display:none and background display and instead
gets straight on with the proper business of displaying it?

--

Cheers
Roger