On 29 Apr, Harriet Bazley wrote in message
    <b2c0dbbb54.harr...@blueyonder.co.uk>:

> On 27 Apr 2015 as I do recall,
>           Daniel Silverstone  wrote:
>
> > surely you can work together to either produce a patch, or to persuade
> > someone who might already know how to code in C to produce a patch.
>
> I'm not sure it's very realistic to expect a random C coder out of the
> kindness of his heart to download the source to a program of the
> complexity of a web browser, work out how one specific piece of it
> currently functions, and alter that part without breaking anything else...
> but I suppose that's how open source software is intended to work...

...but you'd expect someone like myself to do it for you?  That's not meant
in a nasty way, BTW -- I'm just filling in the unspoken bit of your
argument.

In the end, we're all just "random C coders", and when I came on board to
fix up the treeview code I downloaded the source, worked out how large
chunks of it functioned and altered the bits that needed altering.  I seem
to recall that I also broke some fairly significant bits along the way.

What you're asking for isn't hugely difficult, and would be a nice
introductory project for someone wanting to get involved with the RISC OS
front-end.  The offers of guidance that I made to Glen a couple of months
back still stand for anyone interested in picking it up.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/