Steve Fryatt  wrote on 12 Aug:

> On 12 Aug, cj wrote in message
>     <54f1f9a962ch...@chris-johnson.org.uk>:

>> In article <cd18f7f154....@abbeypress.net>,
>>    Jim Nagel <nets...@abbeypress.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>    Warning from Netsurf
>>>    The file could not be saved due to an error:
>>>    'ADFS::Drive2.$.2310d/zip' is a directory
>>
>> This is a common error and nothing to do with Netsurf as such. It is due
>> to some oddity with SparkFS and handling of zip files, and seems to depend
>> on how the original zip was produced (software). I get it from
>> Filer_Action when running SyncDisc jobs.

> I'm not sure it's that odd.  If SparkFS has been seen and the zip file has
> the correct filetype, RISC OS will report the object to NetSurf as a
> directory, not a file (/some/ calls will report it as an "image directory",
> but others won't).

In fact what caused the error was that the drive already had an object
with the same name as the download I wanted to save ("2310d/zip").
The text of the warning was totally inappropriate and misleading.

>>> (2) The text of the warning was not recorded by !Syslog (whose job is to
>>> make it easy for people submitting bug reports to quote the exact
>>> wording of an error message).  I searched the whole log and found
>>> nothing from Netsurf.

> Some confusion? There's no single SysLog log, so it isn't clear which "whole
> log" Jim searched...

I searched anything in !Syslog.Logs with a recent datestamp,
particularly the logfile called WIMP.

> NetSurf uses its own non-blocking error dialogues, so WimpLog won't
> ever see the errors reported.
> In terms of bug reporting, NetSurf's own log is far more detailed and
> far more useful.

Does Netsurf record a warning such as this one in its log file?  Its
current files are 0 length, possibly because I have rebooted since the
incident, so can't check.  But I searched for "warning" in an old
Netsurf logfile that I saved for some reason, and turned up nothing.

Anyway, it'd be more helpful if Netsurf's download routine would say
"an object of that name already exists; do you want to overwrite it?"
rather than relay this wuzzy "is a directory" wuzziness.

--
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk