On Sat, 9 Jan 2016 19:43:53 +0000 (GMT), Peter Slegg wrote:

> >> I just tried it with CI#3254 on an Iyonix.  Took about 24 sec.
> >
> >> If you're not on a very recent CI build, I would recommend you get
> >> one.  Very slow rendering was fixed a couple of months ago.
> >
> >About 43s here on RPC with standard ADSL connection. CI#3250. Firefox
> >on the macbook pro takes 2s over the same connection.
>
> I am using a build from today and I know it is never going to be
> lighting quick on an M68060 but my point is that the speed seems
> unduly slow over an adsl link that normally downloads at 350k/s.
>
> I have reported before that Netsurf on the Atari seems slow at
> downloading pages so it might just be an issue with how Netsurf is
> using the OS ?  It's not my area of expertise.
>
> Is it because there are a lot of files ?
> Is it a cache issue ?
>
> Long delays can often be observed on other pages. The git url is
> a useful test case because it is fairly stable and repeatable.
>
> No criticism, I am hoping this might help the devs find some speed
> improvements.

There is a lot of CSS on those git pages, I believe some CSS caching
is being looked into to reduce the amount of processing required.

In my dabblings with building a 68k version of NetSurf for AmigaOS 3,
I've noticed that the text layout and rendering code plays a big part
in the speed NetSurf loads pages.  On AmigaOS 3, rendering outline
font glyphs is painfully slow, and I think this is down to the 68k.

I notice the Atari code has three font rendering engines; VDI,
FreeType and Internal.  It look like FreeType and Internal are
enabled, and FreeType is the default.

Try setting the following in your Choices file:
atari_font_driver:internal

See if that makes any perceivable difference.

Chris