In article <55bcdc22b0nets...@avisoft.f9.co.uk>,
   Martin Avison <nets...@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:
>  How does !Cache take account of NS choices? Disc cache is set to 1024MB.

> > What are the disadvantages of using a zip fine for Netsurf in !Cache.

> > This is on ARMX6. I'm aware that the lfau means that each block is
> > quite large. Not sure how large on a 250GB. There were lots of
> > directories in !Cache.

> I have raised this sort of thing before. I think you would find there
> were lots and lots of *empty* directories. Apparently on other FS such
> directories cause no problems! I even wrote a program to analyse the
> cache, and to create deletes for all empty directories. But I suspect it
> currently has bugs, and I got diverted to other things!

> I think my directory now (after deleting it all like you have in about
> April) is now about 168MB - which is under its 1024MB limit. It does seem
> to be using 6300 directories but only holds 1550 files! Still seems a
> directory overload to me.

There is cerainly a directory overload! 15 directories, each seems about 5
deep, so 75 in all!

At present, it seems each directory has one file in it, but I've not
checked all.

But I have replaced !Cache.Caches.Default.Netsurf with a zip archive
called Netsurf. This appeasrs to work fine, currently it's 492K - with 75
directories in it.

--
Richard Torrens.
http://www.Torrens.org.uk for genealogy, natural history, wild food, walks, cats