On 2022-01-21 13:17, Harriet Bazley wrote:
On 21 Jan 2022 as I do recall,
          Jeremy Nicoll - ml netsurf  wrote:

Also, the form when used on a webpage, sets variable "user_remember_me"
and (I'm not completely sure) maybe also the submit button part sets
something - I don't know why it defines a name and a value - the latter
is the text on the button but what's "name" for?

That's just a 'Remember Me' (and don't ask for log-in again but redirect
to the stats page) button.

It's not just that.  The form code has

 <input name="user[remember_me]" type="hidden" value="0"/>
<input type="checkbox" value="1" name="user[remember_me]" id="user_remember_me"/>

(odd that there's two such definitions, but maybe JS on the page hides one of them completely). Nevertheless one would expect the POST request sent
to the server to contain "&user_remember_me=0"  (or =1)  and maybe the
server ignore requests that arrive without all the required parameters.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about HTML forms to understand exactly
what the Submit button is doing, but the page only prompts for two user
inputs in this form.

Yes, but type=hidden means there's entries in the form that do do things
even if you don't see them.  You should maybe read this, and the pages
around it that discuss various aspects of forms

 https://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_input_type_hidden.asp

I see from one of your other posts that you've found that pages have
unique content.  I'd guess that the server is using (eg) php session ids
& it's sending the id of the session it's established for you to the page so the page can send that back on successive requests. The id (and maybe
other values) would likely be used as a key in a database on the server
that's storing a whole set of user- & session- specific information.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own