Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 12:04:54 +2300
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: DNS Cockup


One of NT's quirks that really pisses me off has to do with the way it can
screw up DNS.

I use a handful of the Free ISPs over here in Great Britain. I've set them
all up in Nettamer. The first ones I set up I thought I had to be put the
DNS network addresses into the configuration under the first of the Advanced
options. Later I read something in the FAQ (I think) about this not being
necessary so I skipped it for the remaining ISPs.

A virgin copy of Nettamer starts off with something like 255.255.255.255 set
in that option. You either overwrite it when you enter valid DNS figures or
it stays there because you haven't set that option. Things are fine like
that but only while you are using one and one only ISP.

Say you set up your first ISP and _do_ enter the DNS addresses. Then you set
up your second ISP and do not enter the addresses - because it isn't
necessary. If you look you will discover that your second ISP now has the
same DNS addresses as your first.

Then try to log in with your second ISP. Most of the time it seems to work
because Nettamer is getting the _real_ DNS address from the ISP. But
sometimes it will not work and Nettamer will fall back on the DNS addresses
in the setup. So I sit there watching FreeNet trying to resolve an address
using a Domain Name Server that belongs to FreeServe and which it can't
seem to get access to.

My conclusion is that it _is_ necessary to enter the DNS addresses (if you
can get them). I think the problem is that Nettamer does not take a default
copy of the New User settings for you to play around with but springs a copy
of the last User settings you prepared. Not clever.

Sorry to go on at such length but a shorter message would probably have been
misunderstood.

I'm using 1.11.1. The tone of this message may not indicate it but I
generally have a positive view of Nettamer. I paid for my copy and I find it
indispensable - for someone who is trying to use his computer without the
bloat of either Windows or Linux. Having said that it is true that the
browser really sucks and that the whole programme is peppered with
idiosyncratic and exasperating mannerisms. You end up hitting yourself on
the head and saying, "Christ! Surely you're not supposed to do _that_!" Oh,
but you are. So Z Z Esc Esc Return Z Z F10 to you.
--aj

Net-Tamer V 1.11.1 - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to