Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 18:04:21 -0500
From: Walter Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FEMA'S WEBSITE IS NOW AVAILABLE TO NET-TAMER!

Heimo:

     I don't know the answer to your question. However, I can say 
that, here in the states, impaired computer users are gaining more 
respect. There are several organizations in place which provide tools 
software, or information for impaired users so they may easily gain 
access to the Web. Regarding the blind: I've lost track of information 
on a recently developed website that has a completely text compatible 
interface and links to other completely text compatible sites. This 
was one of the more useful websites for the blind I've ever 
encountered -- and I lose the URL. It figures....

    Again, regarding the blind: some items of hardware are still 
expensive. However, more equipment is being introduced while time 
passes. As for software: there's a bit of change there as well. I 
recall but cannot find documentation for new mouse technology that 
allows the blind to FEEL where they are on the screen as they move the 
mouse around to links and icons in Windows. That's the most 
provocative innovation for the blind I've found yet. For more 
information, the following cited articles and URLs may be old news to 
some but new to others:

People with disabilities reach for Web access (PC World Online)
http://www.pcworld.com/pcwtoday/article/0,1510,10362,00.html

IBM ships browser for the blind (PC World Online)
http://www.pcworld.com/pcwtoday/article/0,1510,9607,00.html

Hitachi develops audio-based screen for blind users (PC World Online)
http://www.pcworld.com/pcwtoday/article/0,1510,6205,00.html

Net tips: Web pages for the disabled (PC World Online)
http://www.pcworld.com/software/internet_www/articles/jan97/1501p256b.html

For those needing help with INTERNET access (low vision or total
blindness):
http://www.lowvision.org/access_to_the_internet.htm

"Bobby" is a means to evaluate websites for text compatibility, 
although Bobby and Net-Tamer are not compatible when it comes to
FORM submissions:
http://www.cast.org/bobby/

This page accesses many other webpages dedicated to serving the blind:
http://www.seidata.com/~marriage/rbwww.html

By the way, the commas found in some of the URLs above are correctly 
written, and Net-Tamer version 1.12 beta can easily handle them.

                              Walter Scott

Quoting hammer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> to Walter Scott 
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> and the Net-Tamer
List Group on 18-Mar-00 at 07:31 PST:

HC> Quite possibly this could be the effect of the "threatening" ADA
HC> which made that gov. site keep to the proper rules ? 



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to