Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 21:43:47 -0800
From: Walter Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fwd = Comments On 3-27-00 Release of Net-Tamer Beta


Forwarded by:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Originally from:  Walter Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Original Subject: Comments On 3-27-00 Release of Net-Tamer Beta 
Original Date:    Mon, 27 Mar 2000 21:28:41 -0800

========================== Forwarded message begins ======================

David:

    Here are some preliminary comments on the 3-27-00 beta release. In 
general, the software is looking good. I appreciate your work on the 
reader portion of Net-Tamer. I'm specifically referring to options for 
replying to USENET messages and writing original messages. I believe 
the only thing missing is full implementation of a References line. 
Currently, you only include the message to which someone replies as a 
reference. In these days where people use DEJA.COM to research and 
read whole USENET threads, it becomes more important to absorb the 
entire content of the References line from the person you are replying 
to into your own References line. I'm not making a request for this 
change; just stating that it would be a nice addition.

     I'm not sure if I detect greater message capacity in the reader 
section. On my PENTIUM 2, I was able to index a .DLU of around 3,000 
to 4,000 messages until this latest release. Now, it seems I can index 
and read nearly twice that number of messages. If you have improved 
capacity to that extent, you've done a great job there.

     I like the stability and improved performance of FORMS. This has 
been a major problem and the biggest drawback to using Net-Tamer's
web browser until now. Thanks for fixing this!

     There are some remaining problems. Here's my list.

   1. Net-Tamer still is unable to parse and display webpages from 
      CNN (CABLE NEWS NETWORK) and any of its associated websites.
      Net-Tamer aborts parsing almost immediately after it starts.

   2. On some webpages, Net-Tamer pauses for quite a while after 
      completing the download of the page and before parsing begins. 
      In text mode, that's not such a big issue. In graphics mode, 
      it turns the process of downloading the page and all its 
      associated graphics files into a LONG process -- much longer 
      than it should be. If you want specific URLs to test the 
      problem, let me know and I'll provide them.

   3. There's still some sort of problem that prevents me from 
      seeing .JPG pictures from a webpage in graphics mode. All 
      .GIFs are downloaded and displayed properly. The .JPG pictures 
      never make it in the webpage screen displayed by Net-Tamer. Even if I 
      choose to download a picture from an image link stored in
      BOOKMARK.FAV (i.e. http://nbcin.king5.com/news/weather/images/Max.jpg)
      Net-Tamer asks if I wish to view the file after the download is 
      complete. I respond with the Y key, Net-Tamer attempts to 
      display the image by first calling DJPEG.EXE to decompress the 
      image, but DJPEG is never able to do so. I'm using the 05-08-97 
      DJPEG.EXE and the 08-02-99 G&S.EXE -- the same files packed into 
      the archive I downloaded from your webpage on 3-27-00. As noted 
      earlier, this problem does not present itself in versions of 
      Net-Tamer prior to version 1.11.

   4. Upon pressing CTRL-S while viewing a webpage in graphics mode, 
      Net-Tamer will not echo any further keypresses to the screen. You 
      must either press F10 to get out of the software, or press 
      whatever keys are necessary to disconnect from your ISP and get 
      to the reader section of Net-Tamer. You will, of course, be 
      typing in the blind because NOTHING is sent to the screen as you 
      type.

     That's it for now. I may have more later as I discover it...

                       Walter Scott

 
<><><> News & Views, 24 Hours A Day, 7 Days A Week, Are The Net <><><>

Net-Tamer V 1.12 Beta - Registered


========================== Forwarded message ends ========================


 
<><><> News & Views, 24 Hours A Day, 7 Days A Week, Are The Net <><><>


--

NTReader v0.23(P)/Beta in conjunction with Net-Tamer



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to