Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 11:40:17 -0500
From: Walter Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Color blink?

Jurgen:

     At this point, I doubt the color blink option is of much help or 
is of any use at all. It was originally implemented to deal with 
blinking text in whatever HIGH-INTENSITY -- meaning BRIGHT -- 
foreground color you might set in Net-Tamer. For me, this setting has 
never made a difference on either CGA or VGA video. That's to say I've 
never seen blinking text in the 386 software on systems with VGA video 
whereas a system with CGA video will experience blinking text at some 
menus and prompts under the XT/286 implementation of Net-Tamer -- no 
matter how you have the color blink toggle set.

      I'm referring to the XT/286 software on the matter of a 
demonstrable blinking problem insomuch as the only system I possess 
having CGA video is a 286 system. Aside from installing a 386 emulator 
in CONFIG.SYS on my 286 system, I can't test the 386 software to see 
what it would do on CGA video because (1) the 286 system is just a 
286, and (2) the 286 system is a laptop computer where I can't switch 
out video cards and monitors between the 286 and my other PENTIUM 
desktop computer (even if the system requirements for option cards 
were compatible for the two computers). The blinking started with 
version 1.10 of Net-Tamer and has survived through version 1.11.2. 
Most people -- given that most now have VGA video -- probably have not 
seen the blinking problem unless they used the XT/286 software with 
CGA or VGA video. I haven't tried to duplicate the problem on VGA 
video in version 1.11.2 under the XT/286 implementation of same. But, 
I HAVE managed to produce the problem in the XT/286 implementation of 
Net-Tamer's version 1.10 available on David Colston's old web site at 
Delphi. I suspect the XT/286 implementation of version 1.11.2 probably 
would harbor the same problem, though. If anyone wants to see the 
problem, do the following:

1. Download the XT/286 implementation of Net-Tamer (any version from 
   version 1.10 to the present version).

2. Install the software on any system with VGA or CGA video.

3. Set the blinking toggle in terminal settings to Y and then N in 
   separate tests. (It won't make any difference how you toggle the 
   setting in terms of what happens in step 4, but toggling to an 
   opposite condition in separate tests is the proof this option is 
   ineffective) 

4. After step 3 is finished and the results are saved, go initiate
   an E-Mail message.

     At step 4, you'll notice that, if you attempt to type in an 
E-Mail address for the recipient of your E-Mail instead of selecting 
an address from the address list, the address you type in will BLINK. 
There are other instances where text entered into certain data fields 
would also BLINK.

                            Walter Scott

Quoting Jurgen Mollema <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> to Walter Scott
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> and the members of the Nettamer list 
group on 01-Apr-00 at 05:08 PST:

JM> The Net-Tamer 368+ version has in its comm settings  menu  the  option
JM> "Disable  color  blink  y/n". What does that mean? I couldn't find any
JM> information about this setting in the manual/faq. 



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to