Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 09:31:17 +0700
From: "Ronald C. Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: An Addendum On Dieling Strings

On 2000-04-13 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
   >Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 00:57:47 -0400
   >Previously, I wrote that no dialing string is complete if it
   >only consists of ATD and if a T or a P is not appended. This is not
   >correct. First, any dialing string must, of course, include the
   >phone number you wish to dial. Second, you can leave out the T or
   >the P in your string and use something like ATD1234567. That will
   >dial the seven digits listed in the string. However, you may not
   >dial out in the mode you intended -- touchtone instead of pulse.
   >The USR 14.4K and 28.8K default to pulse under factory settings. To
   >dial touchtone, you MUST append the T. (i.e. ATDT1234567) There is
   >no command for setting a dial default -- tone or pulse. You either
   >take the standard pulse default when you dial without T appended
   >after ATD, or you append T after ATD to achieve touchtone dialing
   >in the USR Sportster 14.4K and 28.8K modems.
   >Walter Scott

Thanks for the clarification, Walter.  It was as I suspected.  USR does 
it differently, but then all modems do _some_ (or many) things 
differently.  Lucent-based modems can use "ATT" to set the default 
dialing mode to Tone, though that's the factory default.  "ATP" will set 
the default dialing mode to Pulse for Lucent-based modems.  

I have a general document on MNP that came with my old Compucom 
Speedmodem 9600 that shows a list of "standard" Hayes commands including 
"ATT" for setting Tone dialing and "ATP" for setting pulse dialing.  
Moreover the documentation specifically for the Compucom modem shows 
that a bit-mapped register (S14) could be used to set the dialing mode 
to either tone or pulse.  Perhaps there is a bit-mapped register on USR 
modems that can be used for the same purpose.  I don't know.  I don't 
have the Compucom modem installed anywhere now, so can't even experiment 
to see if the commands ATT or ATP would work or even to try to set the 
S14 register on that modem. 

Anytime you get a list of "standard" Hayes commands, you need to be sure 
to put that word "standard" in quotes, because there is very little that 
is standard except the most basic commands.  It may be worth trying ATT 
and ATP on any given modem just to see if it is accepted and then to see 
what effect, if any, it has when a number is dialed using ATD(number).  
Some commands may be implemented on a modem just for compatibility but 
don't actually do anything other than return an "OK" when they are 
executed.  

One of the things I dislike about many modern modems is that any 
documentation you get is either skimpy, or on CDROM and it may not be 
complete even if it _is_ on the CDROM.   The quick start documentation 
for my Zoom modem is brief, and while I found it adequate for my 
purposes, it doesn't explain many details of the modem's operation.  I 
had the excellent manual for my AT&T Paradyne modem, which uses some of 
the same commands as the Zoom 2949L, and that was helpful.  I was also 
able to get additional documentation from Lucent that gave me some 
information on other functions of the Venus chipset and I found that 
these functions were available in my Zoom 2949L modem.  

The good news is that most modems will work fine with factory defaults, 
so long as you  know what command will give you factory defaults <g>.  
I'm amazed that some people who should know better will actually say 
that "ATZ" sets the modem to factory defaults.  It may do so, but only 
if the stored settings in user are "0" are the factory defaults.  I 
always customize my settings and "ATZ" on my modem sets a faster dialing 
rate, etc., than factory defaults.  

Since different modem makes and models use different commands for 
setting factory defaults, I won't even get into that.  You have to look 
at the documentation or ask about a specific make and model and maybe 
someone who has the same modem can provide the correct command.

Now that 3Com is getting out of the modem business, it remains to be 
seen how well the USR and Courier lines will be supported by whoever is 
actually producing the modems.  Apparently 3Com will retain a minority 
stake in the new operation, but it will be run by other people.  It 
might even be better, if the people running it care more about modems 
than 3Com may have.  Maybe it won't matter as we all slip quietly into 
the age of DSL and cable modems.  

Ronald Dailey

-- 
RCD

Net-Tamer V 1.12 Beta - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to