Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 15:28:39 -0800 (PST)
From: "Grant E. Metcalf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: exchange with ISP site engineer about pop servers
On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Grant E. Metcalf wrote to his ISP site engineer:
Subject: Re: observation&complaint from NetTamer list about POPS
�From: Heimo Claasen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
�Subject: using 'delete old' has become a problem
�
�The quite practical - and as "safe" considered - functionality with
�Nettamer to "delete old" mails with a next connection to the mailserver
�has become problematic: I made the experience that a number of ISPs,
�since about mid-year, have introduced new server-internal routines which
�do not keep mails in the order given between connections, and do not add
�new mails at the end of the list of kept items, but shuffle new mail
�into the queue left in a haphazard manner. This can have destructive
�consequences. . . . (more)
Len, I thought you might find this of interest.
Len Burns responded:
Indeed, I am also glad to report that the last command still works
here, and knowing this I will keep that on the table next time I must
upgrade. pop server upgrades are usually driven by security
advisories, happily there has not been one on this pop server for a
while now. When the advisories go out, it is an indication that
whatever the new neat trick for breaking in via the pop server is well
known information, and that you better upgrade before somebody uses
it. Thanks for passing that on. -Len
Grant here: It might be helpful to contact the site engineer for your
ISP if you are having difficulties. Perhaps they will appreciate the
feedback.
Grant
Listening for His shout - First Thessalonians 4:16
********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************