Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 14:34:22 -700
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: On Reconsideration Of Bobcat Vs. Net-Tamer
Thank you for your essay, Walter --
If someone strives for a minimalistic approach toward browsing
the Internet with DOS and legacy hardware, in my opinion, the
simplest approach is more in the choice of accessible, usable
content -- instead of attempting to cram too much in the old
DOS conventional memory limitation.
For example, in my own case, I've located about a dozen or more
sites that allow for my basic information interests that don't
take forever to download with the "XT" version of Net-Tamer.
I can peruse my local news, stock quotes, national news, weather
reports, check out a few downloads from DOS Simtel -- all within
an hour or so -- if I choose my PC/XT (and even more on this
PC/AT on which I'm writing this to you). And there are plenty
of Net-Tamer-friendly DOS sites to browse and related newsgroups,
too, not to mention the usual e-mail and lists to keep one quite
busy.
So a true "minimalist" would eschew superfluous fluff on the WWW
and regard inaccessible sites as sites unworthy of viewing, for
reasons of principle. In any case, the angle that would best
serve the minimalist interests of some is that of accessiblity
on behalf of the blind who do better with simpler text-oriented
browsers. That's an issue that I believe won't easily go away.
So far, I think Net-Tamer has done a great job for its niche. On
the otherhand, my only suggestion -- in the case of the text-only
version -- is that Dave Colston should rename it "Net-Parser"! <g>
Jerry [o:--] "The" IBM AT/5170 model 339 [--^~---] 9600kbps/30M HD
*1986 ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| [ =====_] 512k RAM - 8MHz
Net-Tamer V 1.11.2X - Registered
********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************