Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 02:39:04 -700
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dave Colston's Response

On 2001-01-18 David Colston said to John Oram:

   >Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 03:39:40 -0800

   >I have not worked on the program seriously in a few months. As I
   >explained to Walter, though I am not sure he believed me, I am
   >still under treatment for prostate cancer. I had surgury last
   >August, but the doctor has me on a form of chemo-therapy which
   >basically removes the testosterone from my body. While my voice
   >hasn't changed and I still have a beard, this has other side
   >effects. I am basically going through menopause. I get hot flashes,
   >when I exercise, I am slower to recover, I get moody, and I find it
   >hard to focus. The last part is not too unusual, since I'm ADD to
   >start with, but my ADD meds aren't having the same effect. At any
   >rate, I've been told that things will get back to normal in June. I
   >cannot promise that Net-Tamer will be the ulitmate DOS program, but
   >I have not reached the end of the line on development.

   >David Colston
   >'Uncle Dave'

Hello, Dave --

As you can see, John Oram has quoted your e-mail to him on the list.  It
looks like he's hopping mad (for reasons he expressed elsewhere), and I
suppose you'll have to reckon with that later.  My first concern, of
course, is for your health.  It so often seems that we tend to forget
that there are human beings on the other side of our e-mail messages,
and -- sorry that this matter comes to light as it has -- we can plainly
see, now, what you're going through.  Walter has left the list in
frustration (I guess), and while that may be a loss to you, the fate
of Net-Tamer is still in your own hands, anyway.

One thing is certain.  You're in no physical condition to handle the
stress of fighting and bickering over what has or has not been
accomplished properly with Net-Tamer's development.  Personally, I
don't believe in kicking someone while they're down.  In your present
condition, the best thing you can do is finish your treatment with
the most positive, cheerful attitude you're capable of mustering.
After it's over, I'm certain you'll be in a better frame of mind to
make amends with John Oram and return to your work with Net-Tamer,
if that's what you wish.

Actually, I'm surprised you've said that you haven't reached the
end of Net-Tamer's development.  That's good news and interesting
news, I believe.  Believe it or not, there's some folks over on
another list dealing with the TRS-80 Model 100 that are curious
about Net-Tamer and what could be learned from it, even though that
machine would probably never be used as an Internet device.  It's
fascinating to see how old technology can teach us so much about
compact, effient programming.

Some day you'll have to tell us list members some of your
experiences from the former "golden years" of computing...

Hang in there, Dave... we'll keep you in our prayers! ;-)

Jerry    [o:--] "The" IBM AT/5170 model 339  [--^~---] 9600kbps/30M HD
*1986 |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||  [ =====_] 512k RAM - 8MHz

Net-Tamer V 1.11.2X - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to