Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 14:09:34 +600
From: "Thomas L. Burleigh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Thanks for bug & new feature listing
John Oram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> My personal addition to the new feature list would be: the
> ability to handle at non-dial-up connection like a NIC (network
> interface card), for a connection via cable modem, DSL modem,
> LAN, wireless 802.1x - all the protocols are available they are
> "standards". They are publicly available and explained in
> complete detail with RFC's - RFC means "Request For Comment".
> The RFC's are indexed and cover every system standard. The
> detail can be obtained by any person that has a web browser.
> Any "standard" is and has to be Public in order to maintain its
> standard status. Anyone interested should start looking at
> <http://info.internet.isi.edu/1s/in-notes/rfc/files>
Hey, John. I've got this added to the wishlist as well. However,
this does stike me as being a major development for Net-tamer as it
is a substantial paradigm shift from the fundamental idea of
Net-tamer: to bypass window and utilize a modem directly at the DOS
level. Many of these cards are network cards that are dependant, as
far as I know, on Windows environments. The only way I can see Dave
being able to accomplish such additional interfaces is to program
DOS level interfaces, either in the NT program, causing code bloat
(remember "Internet in a Thimble" idea? ;-) or various version of NT
for the different device types, or moving communications to TSRs,
which introduces whole new levels of headaches for a developer.
Not that I don't think this is a bad idea. Far from it, I know I'd
like to use NT with a standard Windows dailup in addition to
Netscape and IE. Everyone just needs to bear in mind the major
change in NT this would be!
Anyway, thanks to all for your contributions to the WishList and
Buglist. Hopefully, I can keep these up and help improve the
NetTamer software.
Thomas L. Burleigh
Author of: CompView (View text files with compressed characters)
NTLServ (Mail Parsing and Saving)
KillFile (Mail and Newsgroup Filtering)
NTBinary (Mail and Newsgroup Binary Saver)
http://www.net-connect.net/~tomburl/shareware.htm
Sorry about the crayon. They won't let me have sharp objects.
Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered
********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************