Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:55:51 -0700
From: "Ronald C. Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Foolishly uupgraded my rig . . . .

On 2002-02-12 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

   >We did, with no effect.  Sam told me a bit about Nettamer, so we
   >down-loaded a copy. Here's what came up on the screen:
   >LADSoft PPP Packet Driver Ver 0.75 Copyright (c) LADSoft
   >Dialing...Connecting to
   >network...Authenticating...Authenticating...Authenticating... and so

I haven't tried Net-Tamer with a system like the one you recently 
bought, so I can't help much in that area, but I do know that it has 
been used successfully with systems running Win9x, at least by a friend 
in my own locality.

I saw that you apparently had the LADSoft PPP driver installed when you 
ran Net-Tamer.  Net-Tamer doesn't like having _any_ other packet drivers 
installed when it is running.  Net-Tamer has its own _internal_ packet 
driver, so having something like DOSPPPD or LADSoft PPP or EPPPD or 
whatever loading along with Net-Tamer is a big NO-NO.  

Have you checked the command line for DOSPPPD that you are using on this 
new system?  I'm using EPPPD (with a Lynx386 version with SSL), but it's 
basically the same.  The command line I use contains both the base port 
address (for the comm port) and the IRQ.  I use an external Zoom 56K 
modem and COM2, so I don't have anything unusual, but here's what mine 
looks like.

epppd base 0x2F8 irq 3 pktvec 0x60 115200 asyncmap 0 crtscts +ua authen.dat
           ^^^^^     ^^

Both values are conventional for COM2.  Since you use PCPLUS, you can 
get the hex value (in the ports setup in PCPLUS) for the port you're 
using for the Archtek SmartLink 5634PCV modem.  If PCPLUS can talk to 
that modem in DOS then it would seem that it doesn't require _special_ 
drivers in Windows to run.
 
The authen.dat file is being used for PAP authentication.  I don't know 
whether you are trying to use that feature and don't know whether that 
will work with your provider.

Ronald Dailey


-- 
RCD

Net-Tamer V 1.13 Beta - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to